Re: New mailing list for installing Octave?

From: Keith Goodman
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 21:05:00 -0700

My guess is that we need to maintain the file

http://www.octave.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/octave/doc/faq/Octave-FAQ.texi

which we can do by either

1. Submitting patches against it one FAQ at a time (if John would like
to approve each one), or
2. Dump the whole file in a wiki and start pounding on it. And then
submit one big patch, after which we can go back to method 1.

I think the best way to get more Mac users on board, except for a dmg,
is to help Fink. Instead of having many people separately figure out
how to compile Octave on the Mac, a few people can figure it out and
then many can use it. If it weren't for Dirk Eddelbuettel, the Octave
package maintainer for Debian, I would never have tried Octave.

Compiling from source may not be faster on Fink but with Fink
Commander it is point and click.