Re: Octave on Mac

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave on Mac
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 11:33:10 -0400

On  9-May-2005, A Scotte Hodel wrote:

| I received the question below.  The procedure that I used to compile
| octave-2.1.64 does not appear to work for the more recent 2.1.x branch
| release or CVS releases.  Has anyone else had success with this?
|
| I've used a Makefile to do the octave/octave-forge install on Octave.
| The text of the Makefile is at the end of this email.
|
| On May 8, 2005, at 11:04 PM, Aakash S Dalwani wrote:
|
| > Respected Sir,
| >         I am trying to install the latest version of Octave (2.9.2) on
| >   node
| >   of an Apple Cluster running Mac OS X server (10.3.7).
| >
| >      Although I am able to run the configure script, but I get the
| >   following message when I run make.
| >
| >   "ld: multiple definitions of symbol Array<long>::operator()(int, int,
| >   int) const
| >   Array-i.o definition of Array<long>::operator()(int, int, int) const
| > in
| >   section (__TEXT,__text)
| >   Array-so.o definition of Array<long>::operator()(int, int, int)
| > const in
| >   section (__TEXT,__text)
| >   ld: multiple definitions of symbol vtable for Array<long>
| >   Array-i.o definition of vtable for Array<long> in section
| > (__DATA,__const)
| >   Array-so.o definition of vtable for Array<long> in section
| >   (__DATA,__const)"
| >
| >      After many such messges, finally make exits with the following
| > error
| >   message:
| >   "/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
| >   make[2]: *** [liboctave.dylib] Error 1
| >   make[1]: *** [liboctave] Error 2
| >   make: *** [all] Error 2"

It looks like the std::streamoff type on your system is just a typedef
for long.  Is that correct?  If so, I suppose you can solve the
problem by elimintating Array-so.cc from the list of files to compile
and link.  Look for TI_SRC in liboctave/Makefile.in and remove
Array-so.cc from the list, then run

  ./config.status
  make

again at the top-level of your build directory.

jwe