Re: new versions of Octave (was "How to print plots on a printer?")

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: new versions of Octave (was "How to print plots on a printer?")
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 12:55:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 5 May 2005, John W. Eaton wrote:

The first entry I see in src/ChangeLog that refers to N-d arrays in any form is

 2000-05-11  John W. Eaton  <address@hidden>

          * ov-base-nd-array.h, ov-base-nd-array.cc, ov-re-nd-array.h,
          ov-re-nd-array.h: New files.
          * Makefile.in: Add them to the appropriate lists.

but I'm pretty sure it was a long time after that until they were usable.

Looking in the NEWS file, I see this...

"Summary of changes for version 2.1.x:"

Etc., with no indication of when things were added (no date, no version number) and no mention, that I could find, of N-d arrays.

The ChangeLog file lists dates but not version numbers. I don't know if there is a file that lists version numbers with their release dates.

| Is there a Change Log on the web?

Yes, along with all the other sources in the CVS archive. There are links to that at www.octave.org/download.html

Do you mean that we have to download the source and find the ChangeLog file in the source tree? I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a link directly to the ChangeLog file. You have this news file:

http://www.octave.org/news.html

Which is very nice, but it ends with version 2.0.17 in May 2002.

So I don't believe there is a way for users to track changes and see which versions have what functionality. That kind of record can be helpful when you want to find out if some research using Octave Version N.X.Y had a certain bug or whatever.

Mike