Re: octave->gnuplot->fig->eps

From: Jeff Abrahamson
Subject: Re: octave->gnuplot->fig->eps
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 09:56:13 -0400

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 03:54:58PM +0300, Shai Ayal wrote:
>   [61 lines, 319 words, 2113 characters]  Top characters: -etoinar
>
> Yes this is unfortunate. When writing octplot I wanted to take some
> code from gnuplot but fortunately noticed that it is indeed non-GPL!
> This caused me to reinvent many things, and to this day I do not go
> near gnuplot source code in fear I violate their license.
>
> The problem is that gnuplot is an excellent plotting package, and no
> mature GPL'd alternative is available to the best of my knowledge.

I found a thread on Debian Legal concerning this, where they concluded
that gnuplot is DFSG free.  Two posters in that thread made reference
to gri and graph (part of plotutils and so depending on libplot).
They both seem more complicated than gnuplot, but may qualify as
"mature".  They are certainly both GPL'd alternatives to gnuplot.

I'm noting this only in case it can help octave graphing support.  The
actual legal question seems to be moot based on follow-on posts.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287