Re: Hardware considerations and Octave

From: Christian T. Steigies
Subject: Re: Hardware considerations and Octave
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 21:19:34 +0200

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 08:51:29PM +0200, Joan Picanyol i Puig wrote:
> * Steve C. Thompson <address@hidden> [20050429 20:33]:
>
> > How about 64-bit architectures?  Say the OS takes advantage of this
> > (running an experiment version of Debian, for example), will Octave
> > also take advantage, or does Octave need to be reworked for 64-bit
> > systems?
>
> I don't have any 64-bit hardware, but it's probably a wise option. My
> most limiting factor is RAM, the hit I take when swaping is unafordable.

GNU Octave, version 2.1.69 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu).
Copyright (C) 2005 John W. Eaton.

Of course it works on AMD64 systems, the last couple of machines we got at
the university are all AMD64 and I haven't heard of any problems wrt octave,
R and most other software. Things that do not work yet on AMD64 (ie
openoffice, acroread, IDL) all work in the 32-bit emulation, ie you do not
have to reboot in 32-bit mode to use them, you can run that software in a
32-bit chroot. This is of course on Debian and the AMD64 HOWTO has been a
great help to set them up.

http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/
https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html

Christian