Re: How do you change to an ordinate on gsplot?

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: How do you change to an ordinate on gsplot?
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:57:01 -0700

Not quite sure if I'm answering your question but gsplot z will use a
counter for x and y starting at 0 (has a name but I cannot think of it right
now)
*whereas* mesh (x,y,z') will use x and y as given. Note that one has to use
z' to get the same plot. [That is a right-handed coordinate system according
to z = cross-product of x and y (turning x-axis (vector) counter-clockwise
towards y-axis (vector) produces z-axis (vector) pointing up].

Octave input follows and 2 graphs are attached for demonstration.
Henry

octave:13> x=[1:1:5]
x =
  1  2  3  4  5
octave:14> y =[2:2:10]
y =
   2   4   6   8  10
octave:15> [xx,yy]=meshgrid(x,y)
xx =
  1  2  3  4  5
  1  2  3  4  5
  1  2  3  4  5
  1  2  3  4  5
  1  2  3  4  5
yy =
   2   2   2   2   2
   4   4   4   4   4
   6   6   6   6   6
   8   8   8   8   8
  10  10  10  10  10
octave:16> z = xx.^2+yy.^2
z =
    5    8   13   20   29
   17   20   25   32   41
   37   40   45   52   61
   65   68   73   80   89
  101  104  109  116  125

octave:18> gset term aqua 1
octave:19> gsplot z  % saved as Fig1_gsplot
octave:21> gset term aqua 2
octave:22> mesh (x,y,z') % savedd as Fig2_mesh