Re: Memory management in .oct files

From: Richard Hindmarsh
Subject: Re: Memory management in .oct files
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:52:05 +0000

John W. Eaton wrote:

On 19-Mar-2005, Richard Hindmarsh <address@hidden> wrote:

| I guess this means that you decided not to impelemt e.g.
| | xout1(ic1,ir1) = xin1(ir1,ic1); | | using a helper class.

In what way are you suggesting using a "helper class" and what do you
mean by that?
I learnt the technique from

From: Corey Kosak <http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=author:kosak%40adonis.nectar.cs.cmu.edu+> (address@hidden <mailto:kosak%40adonis.nectar.cs.cmu.edu>)
Subject: Re: operator[] - lvalue and rvalue
View: Complete Thread (9 articles) <http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&threadm=vzxu2zsihuu.fsf%40adonis.nectar.cs.cmu.edu&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26selm%3Dvzxu2zsihuu.fsf%2540adonis.nectar.cs.cmu.edu%26rnum%3D4> Original Format <http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=vzxu2zsihuu.fsf%40adonis.nectar.cs.cmu.edu&output=gplain>

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++.moderated <http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B.moderated>, comp.lang.c++ <http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B>
Date: 1998/11/22

This is the only way I know to distinguish an lvalue from a rvalue - maybe there are some others?

| The upside of this is speed; the downside is that statements such as
| | double y = xin1(ir+1,ic+1); | | do not trip an error

I meant this to be equivalent to

double y = xin1(end+1,end+1)

which should trip an error.

I also noticed that the Matrix class is zero-based.

I think you are looking for
the set_index, index and assign methods in the Array classes.  I would
bet that you will not like the interface much, but it seemed to be
what I needed for the implementation of the scripting language way
back when, and it seems that so far, no one has contributed the code
to do it in a better way.

I am looking for an alternative to the Matlab C++ library, which Mathworks have stopped supporting. This has several desrable features from an Octave users point of view. I wrote a matrix class with my ideal properties (including helper classes) but got to the point where it was exposing my deficiencies as a C++ programmer. It looks as though to recreate the Matlab C++ library one would have to inherit a further class from Array or Matrix with lvalue/rvalue distinction as above and one-based indexing etc. There are quite a few Matrix C++ classes about, but it's not clear what their long-term survival prospects are. One based on Octave would be much more convincing.