RE: Using Vim, using tabs, using spaces

From: Steve & Aynz
Subject: RE: Using Vim, using tabs, using spaces
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:31:42 +1000

Hi

I've only just started using Octave (I am used to the MATLAB editor with
smart indenting).  I have found EditPlus (for WinXP) to be very useful
(cost ~ $30).  It allows you to build your own editing template - which
can be customized for Octave (or whatever else you may wish to use), and
has editing styles already available for C++, Awk etc.

It also allows the use of coloured text.  I find this helpful since you
can set your reserved variable names with colour which helps any users
of your script to be aware of variable names that they should avoid
using.

> Some editors have an option of setting tab width to something
> other than 8 spaces. Doing so will get you in trouble.

I'm not sure why this would get you into trouble unless you were
exporting your code to another text editor, but I am not sure why you
would do this other than to send examples of failed tabs via email?  I
use nonstandard tab indents and find them very useful.

Steve