Re: black and white printable graphs

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: black and white printable graphs
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:35:07 +0200

Actually, I would recommend making eps graphs and than converting them into PDF
using the epstopdf utility (it's a perl script) available on the web. If you
use linux you probably already have it installed.

although newer gnuplot has a PDF terminal, the PDF files it produces are not as good as
the EPS terminal. So gnuplot -> EPS -> epstopdf > PDF is the best way to go if
you are importing into PDF later.

This would give you a vector PDF graph, i.e. no loss of resolution as in JPG or
PNG files. Zoom in as much as you want and get much better printed quality.

Shai

Quentin Spencer wrote:
NZG wrote:

Currently when I generate graphs I use the octave-forge print utility to create jpg's and then import them into PDF's

i.e.
plot(n,(ylow+yhigh),"^;;6");
title('y(n)');
xlabel('n');
ylabel('y');
print('graph5.jpg','-djpg')

I've discovered, however, that the colored lines of plot utility do not show up at all on my black and white printer.

I have also discovered that the Octave plot utility doesn't seem to be able to generate black lines.

Am I missing something?
How is this typically done?

thx,
NZG.
First, if you're importing the files into PDF, I would suggest exporting into postscript. The result will look better and have smaller file size than JPG. I believe the line colors are different, and I think one of them is black. If you export into black and white postscript, all of the lines are black with different patterns. Another option is to export into Xfig format, which can be then converted directly to PDF by recent versions of Xfig.

The lack of ability to get black linestyle in gnuplot on screen is one of gnuplot's many limitations. If you type "man gnuplot", it tells how to change the default linecolors in gnuplot at startup. I'm not sure how to do this in the context of octave, but it would be really nice if gnuplot gave better control over colors.

-Quentin

Shai Ayal, Ph.D.
Head of Research
BioControl Medical BCM