core dump on OS X

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: core dump on OS X
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 03:17:27 -0500

On  7-Feb-2005, Andy Jacobson <address@hidden> wrote:

|         I'm in the process of porting an apparently trivial m-script
|         to octave.  After making obvious changes for compatibility,
|         such as working around an "fclose('all')", the script runs and
|         produces the expected output.  However, it subsequently causes
|         octave to dump core when quitting--but only on OS X, not on
|         linux (both platforms are using octave 2.1.57).
|
|         Running octave under gdb on OS X yields the following when I
|         type 'quit':
|
|         Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access
|         memory.
|         __tcf_0 () at oct-obj.h:153
|         153     oct-obj.h: No such file or directory.
|         in oct-obj.h
|
|         If desired, I'll submit a bug report, but I'm interested in
|         helping to track this bug down.  I have looked at oct-obj.h,
|         but line 153 appears like it might be an innocent bystander.
|         I can't find the symbol __tcf_0 anywhere.  Anyone have any um,
|         pointers, on how to proceed?

I think this problem has been reported before.  Please see the threads:

  http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/bug-octave.2005/msg00014.html
  http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/help-octave.2005/msg00033.html

I suspect a compiler bug.  Does David Batemen's suggestion in

  http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/bug-octave.2005/msg00015.html

to remove the static qualifier avoid the problem?

jwe