Re: What is the meaning of this pattern of polynomial coefficients?

From: Robert A. Macy
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of this pattern of polynomial coefficients?
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:29:18 -0800

Group,

Have more to add.  After judiciously scaling the ordinate,
to some interim value, making the ordinate go between 0.5
and up to around 2; then the high and low coefficient
magnitudes become EXACT mirror images of themselves.

For example, pretend the minus sign is really a 180 phase
shift, then the polynomial always takes the form of

  for n being odd...
A*x^n - B*x^(n-1) + C*x$(n-2) ... - C*x^2 + B*x - A

  and for n being even...
A*x^n - B*x^(n-1) + C*x$(n-2) ... + C*x^2 - B*x + A

for 2 < n < 17

plus one more feature...
The center values dominate with the center
coefficient located at round(n/2)+1 being the maximum value

If I plot the log of the magnitudes of the coefficients, it
looks exactly like an inverted parabola with the peak in
the center index.

The original data is derived from a physical observation
and I did not expect to see such symmetry.

Is there a better curve fit than a polynomial for this
family of curves?

       - Robert -