[leasqr] help with parameters

From: Pascal A. Dupuis
Subject: [leasqr] help with parameters
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 01:37:19 -0600

Hello,

I use leasqr to fit a complex frequency response to measurered points.
Could someone please help fit the parameters ?

Context: there are a number of frequencies contained in f, the vector
to be optimised is Xok = [Rse Rpe 1e9*Cce Rce], where the scaling on
the third parameter ensure it has more or less the same order of
magnitude as the others.
The target is an impedance, obtained as Rs+ (Cce // (Rpe + Rce)),
where Rce has a special frequency response.

Then I have:

# fitting func
F = "leasqr_warburg_func";
# Jacobian
dFdp = "leasqr_warburg_dfdp";
#scalar tolerance and number of iter
stol=0.001; niter=250;
#desired fractional precision in parameter estimates
minstep = [0.01; 0.01];
# weight vector
wt1 = ones(2*length(f), 1);
# for the numerical derivative.
dp = .001*ones(size(Xok));
[f1, p1, kvg1, iter1, corp1, covp1, covr1, stdresid1, Z1, r21] = ...
      leasqr ([f;f], [real(Zr); imag(Zr)], 1.01*Xok, F, stol, niter,
      wt1, dp, dFdp, [minstep]);

The problem is that this always stop after 3 iterations.

If a compute:
%# at solution
f0=leasqr_warburg_func([f;f], Xok);
norm(f0-[real(Zr); imag(Zr)])
ans =  3.7211e-10

%# move 1% away
f01=leasqr_warburg_func([f;f], 1.01*Xok);
norm(f01-[real(Zr); imag(Zr)])
ans = 407.35

%# solution from leasqr
norm(f1-[real(Zr); imag(Zr)])
ans = 404.61

So, there was a progress, but I would expect further reduction of the
error norm! Which parameter should I change to force the convergence
to better values ? In particular, are stol absolute or relative ?

TIA

Pascal

--
Dr. ir. Pascal Dupuis