Re: Compilation 2.1.64 on mac osX(was: DOCSTRINGS up to date)

From: Per Persson
Subject: Re: Compilation 2.1.64 on mac osX(was: DOCSTRINGS up to date)
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:58:23 +0100

On Dec 22, 2004, at 19:26, Samir Sharshar wrote:

Well the default gcc options given by the configure script build 2.1.64 without errors... but poor perfs. The better I can have (for the moment) is to pass

FFLAGS='-O5 -funroll-loops'
CFLAGS='-O3 -mcpu=G5 -mtune=G5 -faltivec'

I wouldn't put too much faith in -faltivec, AFAIK it only *enables* the use of SIMD intructions, it doesn't actually change the code that is generated... :-( That *might* change with gcc 4.0 which supposedly has auto-vectorization features, but don't expect miracles.

I'm going on finding the best options... and tell you back

Excellent, good luck!
Per

PS. To verify that your code is linked against vecLib, run "otool -L /path/to/octave" and check the output.