Re: Latest build problems with octave and OS X

From: Michael Martin
Subject: Re: Latest build problems with octave and OS X
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:14:33 -0600

On Dec 18, 2004, at 2:10 PM, Joe Koski wrote:

OK, call off the dogs. I upgraded to OS X 10.3.7, and configured with

FLIBS=-lg2c ./configure --enable-shared --enable-dl --disable-static

and the octave-2.1.64 build completed without errors. Now onward to
octave-forge.

Since the 10.3.7 update came out before the fink update to octave-2.1.64 did, I don't know if that was a problem or not. However, I have updated four OSX machines (all 10.3.7) to octave-2.1.64 without a hitch using fink.

Octave-forge is another matter. For reasons not quite clear to me (nor sufficient time to really look into the matter), libpng3 from the stable branch gives the octave-forge compile serious indigestion. I had to remove libpng3 (but not libpng3-shlibs) first, install octave-forge, and then re-install libpng3. This is somewhat odd, for the Octave-forge info does not show libpng3 as an explicit dependancy. But aside from that oddity, Octave-forge goes well with fink and OSX.

I would add that I pick up qhull, octave-forge, octave, gnuplot, and fftw3 from the unstable branch, which in the past always seemed/seems to work better then what is currently on the stable branch. I have yet to try and see if the unstable libpng3 branch will cure the Octave-forge ills I have seen with the stable libpng3 branch. Other that Octave-forge, the stable branch of libpng3 has behaved itself, so I am not quite ready to add its unstable branch to the mix. Too many unstable compounds might cause a nasty explosion.

Michael W. Martin                   Phone: (281) 333-2177
Draper Laboratory                   FAX:   (281) 333-5276
2200 Space Park Dr.                 EMail: address@hidden
Houston, TX 77058                   WWW: http://www.jsc.draper.com/
USA                                 Mail Code: EG/Draper