Re: writing integer with fwrite

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: writing integer with fwrite
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:08:26 -0500

On 14-Dec-2004, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

| Unfortunately, packaging a windows version of octave hasn't scratched
| someones itch enough to get anything done... There is a 2.1.60 version
| of the scicraft download page
|
| http://www.scicraft.org/?cat=3&page=9
|
| But that version is compiled with a known bad compiler and so loops
| will be very slow, and has no accelerated libraries like ATLAS or FFTW, etc,
| so basically everything else will be slow as well... Its probably the
| best available for now for those not wanting to build something themselves

I think a good solution for this problem is to create Cygwin packages
for these various components and Octave.  Then installing Octave on
Windows would be as simple as running the Cygwin setup program,
downloading the components you need, and letting the installer do the
rest.  The packages for the individual parts like ATLAS, FFTW,
etc. could be updated independently of Octave, so it might be easier
to maintain and split the work than a single package that tries to
include everything in one bundle.  Making Cygwin packages is not hard
and can be completely scripted so eventually building a new package
should not be much more difficult than transferring some files and
running a script.  Even so, I do not have the time or interest to do
this myself.  However, if someone else is interested and would like to
help by providing Cygwin packages for Octave, I think I have some
scripts for building the Octave package that could serve as a starting
point.

jwe