OS X errors. plot, aquaterm, x11, ls, display. possibly related, possibl

From: dj
Subject: OS X errors. plot, aquaterm, x11, ls, display. possibly related, possibly not.
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 19:20:13 +0000

Sorry but please excuse my inexperience, I am trying hard to do something about it ;-)

Hi, I am having some difficulties with my installation of octave under OS X 3.5 I installed it via fink and have managed to get it to do quite a few things, but I now need to run a few prewritten matlab scripts as part of my course - wave plotting stuff.

the first function, begins as such after defining some variables, spitting back the following errors:

 octave:1> figure(1)
 error: figure: requires X11 and valid DISPLAY
 error: evaluating if command near line 42, column 7
 error: evaluating if command near line 41, column 5
 error: evaluating if command near line 40, column 3
error: called from `figure' in file `/sw/share/octave/2.1.53/m/plot/figure.m'

As far as I can tell from some other posts its a problem with environment variables or setting something like that. Does anybody explain in very simple terms how I could fix it please?

I did read a few posts in the history but confused with the arguments between using the apple x11 and aquaterm (I have a fink installation and so I have aqauterm). I dont really care which it plots to as long as I can get the plots on screen, or even to a .ps file if it comes to that. :-)

Is it calling for display as in imagemagick display? if so, I installed imagemagick also via fink and can use convert etc but cannot launch dispaly because I get this error

 %Machine:~ me$ display
 %display: Unable to connect to X server ().

I don't know if this is related, or even relevant but ls will also not work.

Any explination of my problem would be appreciated, and any solutions would be fantastic

 Cheers