Re: Running octave 2.1.50 binary for Windows on Windows XP

From: Robert A. Macy
Subject: Re: Running octave 2.1.50 binary for Windows on Windows XP
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 20:10:28 -0700

Well GOOD NEWS! ...octave-2.1.15a-inst.exe
installed and runs very well
...so far, I don't trust any of the Windows environment.

A few quirks...

To "move" around the disk I had to use a sequence of
directory changes, instead of my usual single line.

I placed a script file, called cdwork.m, in the octave
files to quickly jump to my workspace.  You can see where
each line changes the directory one step.  It works.

for example,

cd \\
<note the double back slash>

cd "Documents and Settings"
<note the quotes when there's a space character in there>

cd Robert
<note no need for quotes on a simple directory>

cd "My Documents"
<again the space character required quotes>

directry="My Documents"
<just a note to myself as to where I am>

I wish I could completely move to Linux, or such.  But I
feel computer illiterate as I try to follow all the stuff
going on.

           - Robert -