CVS server key

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: CVS server key
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 21:49:46 -0400

On  9-Oct-2004, Geraint Paul Bevan <address@hidden> wrote:

| I've just got the message below after trying `cvs -z9 update -PAd`
|
| Hopefully this is because the host key has actually changed rather than
| someone surreptitiously trying to insert code on my machine (although I
| now realise that I didn't ever check the original key for authenticity).
|
| I am just wondering if the host key is documented anywhere or if we are
| all just acting on the assumption that we are communicating with the
| real octave.org when downloading via anonymous CVS.

I changed the hardware that runs www.octave.org and the host key did
change.  I have not posted the host key anywhere.  Where should I post
the host key?  I'm not sure that it would help to post it on
www.octave.org, since that is the same system where the cvs archive is
kept, so if the system is compromised, it would not be possible to
guarantee the host key shown on the web site.  Or am I missing
something?

jwe