Re: Octave advocacy

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Octave advocacy
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:14:20 -0500

A lot of people have responded to this, but I would like to add just one more thing. Given the frequency of questions on this list that are answered by "try function x in octave-forge", I think not enough people are aware of octave-forge and other add-ons, which add a large number of additional capabilities. Octave is far more useful to me with octave-forge and I suspect this is the case for many others on this list as well. Perhaps we need a little "octave-forge advocacy"? One problem I see is the RPM-based Linux distributions generally include octave but not octave-forge (Debian users don't have this problem thanks to Dirk). It would be nice to get octave-forge included in more distributions.

--Quentin

The following message was posted to sci.math.num-analysis today.