Re: Unidentified subject!

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Unidentified subject!
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:59:03 -0400 (EDT)

You don't mention what is your platform, and which version of octave
you are using. The first line octave prints after you start it would
provide this information (e.g., on my system it says

        GNU Octave, version 2.1.58 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)

You are aiming for large arrays: zeros(16384,16384) is
2GB in size (octave default type is 'double', i.e. 8 bytes per
number). On a 32-bit platform (such as most PCs) this hits the limit
of addressable space; I think Windows basically can't have that much
data, and Linux might if it is modified for big user memory.

   In particular, I come across the following error messages:
   > octave:2> a=i*ones(16400,8192);
   > panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...

On my system it says 'error: memory exhausted'. I just have a gigabyte
of RAM and a gigabyte of swap, and there are few hundred megabytes of
other programs loaded in memory.

Depending on what you want to do with those arrays, you might try
using sparse matrices (available from octave-forge, q.v.), or upgrade
your system with more memory.