Symbolic expand function doesn't always do anything

From: edA-qa mort-ora-y
Subject: Symbolic expand function doesn't always do anything
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:28:23 +0200

I'm using the OctaveForge integration of the GiNaC symbolic library and having some trouble using the "expand" function.

I want is to perform the polynomial expansion:

        >x = sym( "x" )
        >expand( (x-1)^2 )
        ans = (x-1)^2

        I want to get
        ans = 1 + x^2 - 2*x

If you do this form, it works:
        >expand( (x-1) * (x-1) )
        ans = 1.0+x^2-(2.0)*x

Using ginsh with expand produces the desired results, so I'm assuming it is an Octave integration peculariaty:

        ginsh>  expand( (x-1)^3 );
        -1-3*x^2+x^3+3*x

--
edA-qa mort-ora-y