fflush at end of disp?

From: Keith Goodman
Subject: fflush at end of disp?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:09:40 -0500

Should the disp function force the buffer to be written with something
like fflush(stdout)?

I use

function disp2(txt)
disp(txt)
fflush(stdout);

The first Octave program I ran was the benchmark at
http://www.sciviews.org/other/benchmark.htm. When comparing Octave to
R and Matlab, the delay in displaying the Octave results left me with
a bad first impression.

On a related note, The help file for fflush says

"...it is always a good idea to flush the standard output stream
before calling `input'."

Why not start the input function with fflush?