Re: Octave-Forge make failure under Red Hat 9

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge make failure under Red Hat 9
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:37:09 -0400

Julius,

The reason the comm toolbox has more issues with it is because it
is pushing the limits more.  It has better documentation, it uses more
the modern octave features (including those David added to Octave
for that purpose, such as saving and loading user defined types
from files), and it is continuously being updated.   I wish all packages
had so many issues popping up.

I can understand that David only builds it on machines that he has
available --- this is after all a development tree.  Problems will show
up as other developers try to build things.  He has been very
responsive to problems as they appear, including those for packages
which he did not write himself.  It would be lovely to have someone
set up a tinderbox infrastructure  so that we can track daily changes.
That will speed the discovery of  problems, but it will be up to people
on those platforms to fix them.

If you (and everybody else) want higher quality, start convincing your
organizations to send money to UWisc Foundation (see the blurb on
http://octave.sf.net for details on targeting the donation to Octave) then
maybe we can ask John if there is some hapless undergrad who wants
a tuition reduction in exchange for the thankless task of keeping octave
and octave-forge working everywhere.

Equally important is submitting (polite) bug reports, patches, routines,
tests, docs, build improvements, tech support, etc.

BTW, I want to give a  big thanks to the community at large --- by
the time I read the group in the evening, most questions are already
answered by the likes of Dimitri, David, Paul, Andy, Stefan, Etienne,
Dirk, ... The danger of listing some of you is that I miss others.  No
slight intended.  We've got great tech support!

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden