Re: does tk_octave work on XP?

From: jfl
Subject: Re: does tk_octave work on XP?
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:58:22 -0700 (PDT)

Progress so far.  Nobody said it wouldn't work so I blundered ahead.

I did get tk_octave to eventually compile but it has problems which
do not appear on the linux side.  I have noted that between octave
2.1.40 (linux) and octave-forge 2.1.50 on the PC, octave seems to
be enforcing a stricter definition of a vector.  For instance:
  D2(i) = dX(i,:) * dX(i,:)';
needed to be changed to the following to work as before.
  D2(i,1) = dX(i,:) * dX(i,:)';
This may or may not be related to the error below.  I know the
gcc compiler is getting stricter.

In order to compile tk_octave I needed the octave headers so I
had to download a cygwin with the right packages then compile and
install octave 2.1.57.

Here is the source code corresponding to the error below.  I don't
see what number of columns has to do with the problem.

line 77 of rsc.m is:
  global intp; intp = tk_launch(WISH);

line 71 of tk_launch.m is:
  cmd = [init_file; "-name"; app_name; args];

Any ideas?

---
Actual error shown below:

$octave
GNU Octave, version 2.1.57 (i686-pc-cygwin).
Copyright (C) 2004 John W. Eaton.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Report bugs to <address@hidden> (but first, please read
http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).

octave:1> rsc
warning: in fprintf near line 54, column 1:
warning: implicit conversion from matrix to string
error: number of columns must match (5 != 26)
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 71, column 5
error: called from `tk_launch' in file
`/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.57/site/oct/i686-pc-cygwin/Tk_octave/utilities/tk
_launch.m'
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 77, column 19
error: near line 77 of file `/src/rs_calc/rsc.m'