Re: Which version of Octave?

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: Which version of Octave?
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 08:45:21 -0700

on 3/25/04 7:49 PM, John W. Eaton at address@hidden wrote:

> | I've been using Octave less than a year, and have used versions
> | numbered all the way from 2.1.36 to 2.1.50, and am currently looking
> | into 2.1.57.
>
> Is that a problem?  You do want progress, don't you?  For a long time,
> we had the opposite problem, of nearly stalled development.  I think
> I know which situation most users of Octave would prefer.  The
> "development" vs. "testing" designations for snapshots is a way to
> address the issue of constant upgrades.  Eventually, we will have
> another stable release, but probably not for a while.

John,

Yes, I prefer progress over limited capabilities, and I realize that changes
will always need to be made. As a new user, I found it confusing as to which
version to use. My apologies if it sounded like a complaint. You have a good
piece of software that has certainly opened up some new possibilities for
our data analysis. Thanks.

Joe Koski