Re: Windows shortcut problem

From: Peter Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Windows shortcut problem
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:44:23 -0600

Christoph:
Thanks for your prompt reply!

> I guess the problem has to do with Octave being a Cygwin application rather
> than a "native" Win32 application.
That was my first thought, too, but then why is it possible to change
the starting directory in the properties of the Matlab entry in the
Start menu? Naively, I would reckon that entries in the Start menu
should behave just like shortcut icons, but apparently they don't.
Has anyone else noticed this problem?

> Note that you need to specify the *Cygwin* path to your directory. You can
> generate the cygwin path format with the utility cygpath that is shipped
> with cygwin in the package cygutils. You can directly use it in the shortcut
> with the backtics cammand substitution syntax:
>
>       C:\path\to\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c "cd `cygpath -u C:\win32\path\format\`
> && octave"

This'll work, but I'm really hoping for a way to get shortcut icons
to work in the expected way. I'm trying to come up with a simply way
to deploy educational software to users who are not necessarily
computer-savvy. I figure I can expect them to modify properties
of shortcut icons, but typing a command like the one above would
be a bit much for most of them.
Best,
        Peter