Cannot load a binary file

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Cannot load a binary file
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 20:28:08 -0800

On  6-Jan-2004, Henry F. Mollet <address@hidden> wrote:

| I can save a file as a binary but not load it?
| Henry
|
| octave:89> a = [1,2;3,4];
| octave:90> whos
|
| *** local user variables:
|
| prot  type                       rows   cols  name
| ====  ====                       ====   ====  ====
|  rwd  matrix                        2      2  a
|
| octave:91> save testasciidefault
| octave:92> clear all
| octave:93> whos
| octave:94> load testasciidefault
| octave:95> whos
|
| *** local user variables:
|
| prot  type                       rows   cols  name
| ====  ====                       ====   ====  ====
|  rwd  matrix                        2      2  a
|
| octave:96> save -binary testbinary
| octave:97> clear all
| octave:98> whos
| octave:99> load -binary testbinary
| error: load: trouble reading binary file `testbinary'
|
| I've tried the same with -matbinary with the same result.

What system are you using?

What version of Octave?

This does not appear to be a problem with 2.1.50 or the current CVS
sources on a Debian system.

>From other posts, I seem to remember that you are using Mac OS X.
Perhaps the problem is due to an old bug in the C or C++ library on
that system that causes binary reads to report the wrong number of
bytes or the wrong status at EOF (I can't remember the precise details
of the bug, just that there was one -- maybe someone else remembers
more can provide additional information).

jwe