Re: have 2 qs about octave under Win XP

From: taltman
Subject: Re: have 2 qs about octave under Win XP
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:48:56 +0000 (UTC)

On Dec 16, 2003 at 2:59pm, Zavorin, Ilya wrote:

IZavor >Hi,

Hi Ilya, welcome to the list!

IZavor >I have 2 questions about running Octave under XP:

I have two answers for you:

IZavor >1. I am trying to load a TIF image using imread. It says that I need to
IZavor >install convert from ImageMagick. I d/loaded and installed it as a
IZavor >standalone executable, but how do I "tie it" to Octave?

Octave sits on top of its own installation of Cygwin. If you can
locate all of the ImageMagick executables from the Cygwin bash
command-line (the *same* one that Octave uses; it's possible to
download & install Octave & Cygwin so that you have two different
versions of Cygwin), then Octave should be able to locate it just fine.

IZavor >2. In general, is there an equivalent of the Matlab's "Shell escape" '!'
IZavor >that allows to run stand-alone executables from within Octave? What do I
IZavor >need to do (as far as syntax and path name setting) to be able to do
that?

You want to run a shell-command? Then you should be able to do this:

system("date")

This, once again, will be operating in the Octave-for-Windows install
of Cygwin, so be careful.

Check out these pages for more information on Octave's interaction
with the OS:

http://www.octave.org/doc/octave_35.html#SEC204

IZavor >Thank you,

You're welcome. Post again soon, now. Hear?

~Tomer

IZavor >
IZavor >
IZavor >