Re: Broken .octave_hist

From: Per Persson
Subject: Re: Broken .octave_hist
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 22:57:16 +0100

On Saturday, December 6, 2003, at 09:40 PM, Joe Koski wrote:

As a new octave 2.1.50 user on Mac OS X 10.2.8, I installed octave in
usr/local from binaries (not from Fink).

Could you be more specific as to where you got the binaries and if possible how they were built? (Related to dispatch error below)

Everything worked fine until I
needed some cubic spline routines, and installed (from source)
octave-forge-2003.06.02. The spline routines from octave-forge seem to be
working fine.

That's good;-)

The building of the octave-forge routines was not smooth, but
the "make install" seemed to go OK.

It would help if you elaborated on "not smooth".

 (As an aside, I wish that we could fix
more OSF make files so that they will work properly with OS X and limit the
need for Fink, etc. to exist.)

AFAIK, the instructions in octave-forges INSTALL.MacOSX file (below) works.
-----
Add NOINSTALL to extra/linear-algebra ('touch extra/linear-algebra/NOINSTALL')
Add NOINSTALL to main/sparse ('touch main/sparse/NOINSTALL')

Set PROGS to an empty string (i.e. 'PROGS =') in FIXES/Makefile (Can't override builtins on OSX, yet)

Run './configure' (run './autogen.sh' first if you are working with CVS sources)
Run 'make' and 'sudo make install'
-----
The three additional steps before configure are not that hard and, unfortunately, necessary until someone volunteers to fix that code.

About the time of the octave-forge installation, my history of commands in
.octave_hist stopped being updated.

No idea. What is the value of variables 'history_file' and 'saving_history'?

octave:1> history_file
history_file = /Users/per/.octave_hist
octave:2> saving_history
saving_history = 1

 Also, now when I start octave, I get the
error

error: `dispatch' undefined near line 2 column 1
error: near line 2 of file
`/usr/local/share/octave/2.1.50/site/m/octave-forge/comm//PKG_ADD'

Dispatch seems to work fine here.
OS X 10.2.8, octave 2.1.50 built from source.
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1435)

Was the octave binary built with support for dynamic loading of compiled functions (.oct files)? This is a little hard to find out on OS X since 'octave_config_info("dld")' returns 0 even if octave does support .oct files (Ugh!).
What does octave_config_info("MKOCTFILE_SH_LDFLAGS") give you?

Is the dir /usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.50/site/oct/powerpc-apple-darwin6.6/ octave-forge populated with .oct files (including dispatch.oct)?

Finally, the output of 'octave_config_info' could give some clues to whether the binary install is sane.

/Per