Re: Starting using octave

From: Mark P. Esplin
Subject: Re: Starting using octave
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:14:19 -0500

        I think there needs to be different levels and types of documentation
for
octave.  Like most open source project, the detailed documentation is in much
better shape (even if it is out of date) than the general introductory
information.  For the old time Unix user, it makes perfect sense that octave
doesn't include it's own editor and that the way you use it is to use your
own farorite editor. For the windows user who is used to having programs that
are totally self contained, it can be very frustrating trying to figure out
how to edit and save your code and browse the help files. The idea that you
have to use different utilities, might not even come to mind.  I don't think
octave needs pull down file, edit, run, and help menus, but maybe it needs a
little explanation about why it doesn't have any.  It isn't because octave
developers don't know how to code them.  How about having links on the octave
web site to things like getting started with octave, using scripts, a few
cool looking demos, etc.

                     -Mark Esplin