Re: Uninstalling windows octave destroyed my cygwin installation!

From: Tom Weichmann
Subject: Re: Uninstalling windows octave destroyed my cygwin installation!
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 00:18:24 -0800

On Sunday 30 November 2003 08:45 pm, John W. Eaton wrote:
> If that
> works with Windows 9x, then great, but if it doesn't, I don't really
> care, because those systems are more obsolete every day.  If someone
> else cares about trying to support them, then that is also fine, but I
> don't think we should do that within the context of Cygwin packages.

I couldn't agree more.  This has been a problem from the very beginning.
Windows 9x simply cannot handle fork().  I have been playing around with
CYGWIN for about 5 years now and it seems that unless someone comes up with
some magic work around this will never be fixed.

As for trying to maintain all of those different distros...  Why not just
create one distro, and a 2nd package for developers.  List the limitations
for Win9x users clearly so that they know what they are getting into if they
really want to try it out.

Also, perhaps we should make a note somewhere that octave compiles without
modification under cygwin.  We keep hearing people complaining that they are
messing up their cygwin installs with this package, well why don't they just
compile from source?  There is no magic / secret handshake here at all! Just:
./configure
make
make install

Just my $0.02