Re: Starting using octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Starting using octave
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:26:54 -0600

On 30-Nov-2003, robert Macy <address@hidden> wrote:

| Just a simple list of "how to" step by step instructions
| would have been greatly appreciated. A little more
| attention toward the creation of the manual and having the
| manual contain examples would have helped.

Did you read the introduction to the Octave manual?  It does contain
some basic tutorial information.  Perhaps it is not simple enough, or
lacks some other essential component.  Unfortunately, I don't know how
to make it much better.  Perhaps you, as someone who has recently had
some trouble learning how to use Octave, could provide some concrete
suggestions for how to improve it.  Better yet, it would be helpful if
you, or someone else who is not satisfied with the current state of
the manual, could help to improve it.

I remain optimistic that the project will succeed as more people
realize that they must contribute in order for things to improve.  But
if that doesn't happen, and people only expect to get something for
nothing, then I may eventually have to realign my expectations.

| However, once through the initial hazing phase I am very
| satisfied with the power and robustness of octave, not to
| mention the *excellent* customer service one gets here in
| the help group.

I like to think of this as a community effort, not a customer/vendor
relationship.  But if only a few people are providing and many others
are using, then I can see how there could be a misunderstanding.
Also, to me, "customer" usually has some connotation of "paying".

jwe