TR: [sciclub] Scilab news

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: TR: [sciclub] Scilab news
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:36:35 -0600

On 28-Nov-2003, THOMAS Paul Richard <address@hidden> wrote:

| Since I work for one of the organisations in the Scilab Consortium, I feel
| "honour bound" to circulate this to you all.  Scilab is going to get serious
| support; in particular, the consortium is going to sponsor 5 people to work
| on it full-time.

I still find it fascinating that Scilab is apparently directly derived
from the original Fortran version of Matlab written by Cleve Moler,
and that it retains many of the same features.  For example, the
interpreter appears to still be written in old-style Fortran.  Do you
know whether there are any plans to change this?

Also, do you know whether there has ever been any effort to stop the
development or distribution of Scilab?  I know that about 13 years
ago, Cleve posted a message to sci.math.num-analysis requesting that
people stop distributing "classic MATLAB" and recommending the current
MathWorks product.  If you are interested, the message ID is
address@hidden; I was surprised to find that Google has it
since I didn't realize their archive went back that far.

jwe