Re: fig output, ylabel and special flag

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: fig output, ylabel and special flag
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 23:36:36 -0700

cctsim wrote:

Hi all,

If I use the script below to create a .fig file
I noticed that the special flag for further
tex processing is not set for the string used in ylabel. However, it is set for the string in xlabel. The same happens for legend from octave-forge.
Do I miss something?

% Example:
gset term fig;
gset output "sine.fig";
N=1000;
t=linspace(-2,2,N);
g=sin(2*pi*t);
axis([-2 2 -1.5 1.5])
gset nokey
ylabel('$x(t)$')
xlabel('$\\omega_0 t$')
plot(t,g)
legend('$x(t)=\\sin(\\omega_0 t)$')
I forgot to answer your question about the code. The reason the legend string is not flagged as special in this case is that the string is processed more than once in the legend command, and each time '\\' becomes '\', so that when gnuplot sees the string, the \ characters are missing. The solution to this is to use either more '\' characters or to use the command undo_string_escapes, which does this for you automatically. Ideally this should probably be used inside the legend function so you don't have to (if the maintainer is reading, consider this my bug report--otherwise, maybe I'll try fixing it myself sometime).

Quentin