Re: Mac OS X questions

From: Luc Lefebvre
Subject: Re: Mac OS X questions
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:18:33 -0400

Hi,

I believe that Fink still requires that packages be "Finkified" in that said
packages are not installed in the Debian package directories but rather in a
"/sw" rooted tree.

Could the octave-forge package simply be manually put into the "proper place"
in the /sw tree?...

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 05:07:13PM +0200, Christoph Dalitz wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:56:48 -0400
> Mark Dowell <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > - Is it possible to simply copy the ".m" files over from the
> > octave-forge distro if one has installed the standard octave installed
> > through Fink - if not, how can benefit from the extra octave-forge
> > packages but the ease of the Fink standard octave install.
> >
> AFAIK is Fink based on the Debian package manager dpkg. This means
> that you can install Debian packages provided they are architecture
> independent.
>
> An architecture independent ocatve-forge package is available from the
> Debian Website http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages/
> (search for "octave-forge" in all distributions).
>
> You should be able to install it as follows:
>
>   - downlaod the octave-forge*.deb file
>   - install it with "dpkg -i octave-forge*.deb"
>   - when it is installed, you can print a list of all installes files
>     with "dpkg -L ocatve-forge"
>   - if you want to get rid of it, you can uninstall it with
>     "dpkg -r octave-forge"
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Christoph

Luc Lefebvre

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities,
in the expert's mind there are few.                     <Shunryu Suzuki>

Key fingerprint = D2E5 5E35 B910 6F4E 0242  EC63 0FD9 96D0 C7F4 784E