svgalib

From: A. S. Budden
Subject: svgalib
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:49:06 +0100

Hi there,

I've been trying to get octave/gnuplot working in a linux console using
svgalib.  If I use gnuplot (in screen or in a virtual console), it works
fine, just as it does under x11, brings up a nice big picture of the
graph I want to plot, in colour and everything (ooooh!).  However, if I
use octave (which works fine in X11) it fires up gnuplot, displaying the
following:

  [svgalib: allocated virtual console #8]

And gnuplot starts up on virtual console #8, displaying this:

  c160f
  Using VESA driver, 8128KB. VBE2.0
  svgalib 1.4.3

  G N U P L O T
  Version 3.7 patchlevel 3
  last modified Thu Dec 12 13:00:00 GMT 2002
  System: Linux 2.4.20-8

  Copyright(C) 1986 - 1993, 1998 - 2002
  Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others

  Type `help` to access the on-line reference manual
  The gnuplot FAQ is available from
  http://www.gnuplot.info/gnuplot-faq.html

  Send comments and requests for help to <address@hidden>
  Send bugs, suggestions and mods to <address@hidden>

  Terminal type set to 'linux'
  gnuplot>

However, the graph never appears.  All I can reasonably do is type
"exit" at which it quits and if I ctrl-alt-f1 back to octave I get:

  warning: broken pipe
  warning: connection to external plotter (pid = 25755) lost --
  warning: please try your plot command(s) again

Or something like that.

Can anyone help me with this problem please?

I'm using Redhat 9.0, with octave 2.1.40 and gnuplot-3.7.3-2 compiled
with --with-png --with-x --with-linux-vga.  Any other details I'm more
than happy to provide.

Many, many thanks for any help you can offer,

Al