Re: tab completion and readline

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: tab completion and readline
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 18:29:02 -0600

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

Hm, I can't even remember if it ever worked for directories and filenames as
bash does. But there is a workaround -- use it from within the (X)Emacs mode
for Octave.  I just tested it on Debian stable (with octave 2.0.17) and
unstable (with octave 2.1.48) and it worked consistently: start typing 'cd xxxx' where xxxx is the beginning of a current subdirectory name, and
tab completes it. AFAIK it is (X)Emacs doing that, though.
I just tested this (octave from the command line, not emacs--version 2.1.48 on Red Hat 9), and it seems that tab completion works for subdirectories of the current directory, but not beyond that. For example, if you want to do a "cd xxxx/yyyy", and you type "cd x" and tab, it completes xxxx/ , but it won't complete the yyyy by typing "y", which is what you would expect from a bash prompt. I hadn't noticed this before, mainly because I don't tend to move around the filesystem much inside octave, but I can see how this would be a problem if you have a large directory structure.

Quentin