Re: Derivative function

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: Derivative function
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:45:27 -0800

I have just looked at the lecture notes by A. Scottedward Hodel on
Introductory Controls Using the Octave Control Systems Toolbox. The example
of the damped mass-spring system on p. 19/20 is implemented, among other
code with the following code line:
: pos-x'' = (1.0/mass) * (......... - pos_x) - alpha*pos_x'
Where pos_x and first and second derivative of pos_x appear.

Question: Is the Octave Control Systems Toolbox different from Octave and
can it be considered a symbolic math package?

Question: if pos_x' is the derivative, how is it distinguished from the
complex conjugate transpose operator " ' "? (Transpose operator is " .' "
Henry
N.B. The analysis of Life Cycle Graphs is simplified by the use of the
z-transform. Of course, what's considered "stable" in electrical circuits
(all eigenvalues inside the unit circle in the complex plane, means species
extinction in the animal or plant kingdom.