Re: How can I increase or decrise the lenth os scaling !

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: How can I increase or decrise the lenth os scaling !
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 18:29:19 -0600

On 29-Nov-2002, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:

| Instead of "format n.m" just use "format fixed" and have it use the values
| of output_max_field_width and output_precision in the following way...
|
| output_precision=m;
| output_max_field_width=n+m+1;
| format fixed
|
| ...and that would produce the "format n.m" I wrote about previously.  The
| user would have to specify both output_precision and output_max_field_width
| or accept the current default values.

Using "fixed_point_format = 1" instead of "format fixed" is close, but
maybe not quite what you are looking for.  It displays a wide range of
values like this:

  octave:2> [1e6; 1e-6]
  ans =

    1.0e+06  *

    1.00000
    0.00000

I can see that it might be useful to be able to write

  format 5.2g

or similar (maybe e and f in addition to g) and this would be
interpreted like the corresponding C printf format specifiers.

I don't think it would be all that hard to make this work given the
current structure of pr-output.cc, but I don't have much time to work
on it myself.

jwe