Re: Fw: How .m and .o file works

From: A S Hodel
Subject: Re: Fw: How .m and .o file works
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 09:18:20 -0600

Your question is so general that it is nearly impossible to answer. You may as well ask how Linux works - how does it process shells, executables, etc.

In order to avoid confusion and wasted time, it would be of benefit for you to be more specific in your question or to take some time to read the Octave documentation provided with the source code.

Short answer:
readline: standard gnu library; (I think it) parses a line of text into keywords
        kpathsea: I think this helps to traverse the many trees in the octave
path to identify m-files, etc., as octave functions. It plays a similar role
                in tetex and some other GNU-license packages.
liboctave: C++ templates used to execute numerical work in Octave. Often, these are
                just wrappers to call routines that are in ...
        libcruft: fortran (LAPACK) libraries.
All of the above are protected by the terms of the Free Software Foundation GNU software license, which is included with the Octave source code.