Re: plot bug with redhat 8.0

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: plot bug with redhat 8.0
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 21:34:43 -0600

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 08:23:48PM -0700, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
> I confirm the observation (7 plots, 8 keys) on octave 2.1.39 and
> gnuplot 3.8i (cvs snapshot of Sept 11, 2002). Both compiled from
> scratch on RedHat 8.0.

Weird. As John remarked, this does of course work as it should on Debian.

What happens when you run the regression tests after building octave? Also,
try saving what is passed to gnuplot. I.e., after

address@hidden:~> octave2.1
GNU Octave, version 2.1.39 (i386-pc-linux-gnu).
Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 John W. Eaton.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type warranty'.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Report bugs to <address@hidden>.

octave2.1:1> gnuplot_binary
gnuplot_binary = gnuplot
octave2.1:2> gnuplot_binary ="tee /tmp/file.txt | gnuplot";
octave2.1:3> s=randn(10);
octave2.1:4> plot(s);
octave2.1:5> quit

I can see examine the file that was generated by interjecting tee(1):

address@hidden:~> cat /tmp/fi
file.txt    filet3IzVI
address@hidden:~> cat /tmp/file.txt
set data style lines
set nologscale
set nopolar
pl '/tmp/oct-P4VqHk' t "line 1",\
   '/tmp/oct-43qU7u' t "line 2",\
   '/tmp/oct-3yAwxF' t "line 3",\
   '/tmp/oct-kVAuWP' t "line 4",\
   '/tmp/oct-fejxp0' t "line 5",\
   '/tmp/oct-smPERa' t "line 6",\
   '/tmp/oct-1rK8il' t "line 7",\
   '/tmp/oct-IDmyFv' t "line 8",\
   '/tmp/oct-RXfC1F' t "line 9",\
   '/tmp/oct-kch2mQ' t "line 10"

quit

Dirk

--
The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology
look respectable.                    -- John Kenneth Galbraith