Windows, mkoctfile and DLLs

From: Andy Richardson PDA
Subject: Windows, mkoctfile and DLLs
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:38:03 -0000

Hi,

I have been using Octave for some years now, but find that I need to delve
deeper.
I am interested in building my own C++ functions in Octave using a Win98
machine. I have checked through the archive of e-mail messages but wanted to
confirm that my understanding is correct.

First, am I right in stating that the use of mkoctfile in the Octave manual
doesn't work for Windows machines, and consequently I can only call my own
functions from Octave if I follow some of the suggestions posted earlier in
the archive which I thing can be paraphrased into two possibilities:

1. Rebuild Octave with some modifications that allow the inclusion of DLLs
2. Rebuild Octave with my new code some-how statically linked into Octave

Have any of these suggestions been implemented in any Windows specific
releases ? And finally, does anyone have a view as to whether it is a major
job to perform these changes (by someone not overly familiar with installing
Octave other than typing "make") - i.e. is it 1/2 hour activity or 1 to 2
days with great loss of hair.

Many thanks for any responses

Andy Richardson