Re: Does the Perl Inline-Octave function work on Cygwin?

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: Does the Perl Inline-Octave function work on Cygwin?
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 01:05:49 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Bruce Moore wrote:

> > Bruce Moore wrote:
> > > I'm trying to get the Perl Inline-Octave module to
> > > work and keep running into the problem getting the
> > > inline module to recognize the octave.pm module.
> > >
> > > To get Inline and it's prerequisites to work, I
> > > re-installed Cygwin to use the Unix line-end
> > > convention.
> > >
> > > There's a post similar to this at

> > > but I can't find a reply or other resolution.
> > >
> > > **********************Begin
> > > Listing*******************************
> > > $ make test
> > > PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl -Iblib/arch
> > -Iblib/lib
> > > -I/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/cy
> > > gwin-multi -I/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1 -e 'use
> > > Test::Harness qw(&runtests $verbose);
> > > $verbose=0; runtests @ARGV;' t/*.t
> > > t/1_simple..........Error. You have specified
> > 'Octave'
> > > as an Inline programming
> > > language.
> > >
> > > I currently only know about the following
> > languages:
> > >     C, Foo, c, foo
> > >

> > I have had plenty of trouble getting Inline or
> > Inline-Octave
> > to work with cygwin perl. I've occasionally managed
> > get it to work by not installing Inline::C with
> > Inline.
> > However, I just tried it, and I can't get cygwin
> > inline-perl
> > to work at all.
> >
> > Note that it does work with ActiveState perl, if
> > that
> > helps. (Don't install Inline via ppm, get the
> > modules
> > from CPAN)
> >
> > Andy
> > --
> > Andy Adler,
>
> Thanks for the tip on using Activestate...I've got
> that installed and accessible from an MS-DOS window.
> I'll have to figure out how to get Octave to work from
> the MS-DOS window...hopefully as simple as making sure
> that the cygwin DLL is in the path.

Yes, that's correct. Cygwin mounts /bin and /usr/bin
to C:\cygwin\bin, so in the install, when you are
asked where is octave, put C:/cygwin/bin/octave-2.1.39.exe
(or whatever).

Note that you must: 1) use forward slashes, 2) use the full
name to the executable (not the symlinks)

> I've got to pull a lot of data from a DB2 database,
> and it looks like the PERL inline:octave module will
> be the easiest way to do that.

I haven't used Inline::Octave for really large data sets
yet. Please give me feedback about how well it scales.

Andy
--
Andy Adler,
Assistant Professor, School of Information Technology and Engineering,