Re: problems compiling 2.1.36 on solaris 8 with gcc-3.2

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: problems compiling 2.1.36 on solaris 8 with gcc-3.2
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 20:31:33 -0500

On 13-Sep-2002, Mumit Khan <address@hidden> wrote:

| On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Sam Ducksworth wrote:
|
| > not a problem. attached is the gendoc.cc file. it is uuencoded.
| > let me know what else you might need.
|
| Looks like the docstrings for daspk and/or daspk_options are incomplete. I
| noticed the same problem when building on Solaris 8, but with Sun Forte 6u1,
| not GCC 3.2. Check the <build_dir>/src/daspk.df file to see if you see
| incomplete lines or not.  I'm surprised it's happening with GNU cpp, which
| I don't recall having line length limitations (I haven't looked at the
| new cpp code, so really don't know what the deal is). What's your CXXCPP
| setting in Makeconf? If it's set to `g++ -E' or some such, I wonder why
| it's happening under Solaris 8 and not under other OS's using GCC 3.2.

The .df files are created with the following rule:

  %.df : %.cc
          @echo making $@ from $<
          @$(CXXCPP) $(CPPFLAGS) $(CXXFLAGS_NO_PT_FLAGS) -DMAKE_BUILTINS $< \
            | $(srcdir)/mkdefs > address@hidden
          @mv address@hidden $@

and the mkdefs script is:

  #!/bin/sh

  sed -n -e '/^ *BEGIN_INSTALL_BUILTIN/{
    : loop
    s/BEGIN_INSTALL_BUILTIN//
    /END_INSTALL_BUILTIN/b done
    b loop
    : done
    s/END_INSTALL_BUILTIN//
  }'

So perhaps it is a line length limit in the Sun sed and not a problem
with the gcc preprocessor?  Or were you using GNU sed when you noticed
the problem?

jwe