Re: readline problems linking octave binary - Cygwin 1.3.5/Win2K

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: readline problems linking octave binary - Cygwin 1.3.5/Win2K
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:34:43 -0600

On 28-Nov-2001, Roberto Hernandez <address@hidden> wrote:

| I also had a problem with the readline libraries when trying to install
| version 2.1.35 on a Linux system. While running the configure script I
| got a "fatal" message saying that it couldn't find readline. The strange
| thing is that I recently installed version 2.1.34 on the same system and
|   had no problems.

Here is the solution I came up with.  Replace the definition of
octave_rl_clear_screen in liboctave/oct-rl-edit.c with the following
code.

// It would be much simpler if we could just call _rl_clear_screen to
// only clear the screen, but it is not a public function, and on some
// systems, it is not exported from shared library versions of
// readline, so we can't use it.
//
// Instead, temporarily redefine the redisplay function to do nothing.
//
// XXX FIXME XXX -- It would be safer to do this when protected from
// interrupts...

static void
no_redisplay (void)
{
}

void
octave_rl_clear_screen (void)
{
  int ignore1 = 0;
  int ignore2 = 0;

  rl_voidfunc_t *saved_redisplay_function = rl_redisplay_function;
  rl_redisplay_function = no_redisplay;

  rl_clear_screen (ignore1, ignore2);

  rl_redisplay_function = saved_redisplay_function;
}

jwe