string vectors and matrices in Octave

From: E. Joshua Rigler
Subject: string vectors and matrices in Octave
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:35:37 -0600

Can somebody give me a quick explanation of how vectors and matrices of
strings are handled in Octave?  Is it even possible to create a vector
of strings so that I can create something like...

  x = ["123";"456";"sap"]

and then simply type...

  printf ("%s %s %s\n",x(1),x(2),x(3) )

to get...

  123 456 sap

rather than the following error...

  error: single index only valid for row or column vector

More specifically, I am attempting to pass back a vector of strings from
an external library wrapped with a C++ dynamically linked function.  The
strings are currently sitting in my wrapper as a very long 1-D array of
characters.  Each string is already of an identical, known length,
properly padded with blanks.  I just want to pass back a vector of
strings, not characters.  If you can give a hint on how to do this, that
would be even better.  Thanks.

-EJR