Re: PHP and Octave

From: Tom Weichmann
Subject: Re: PHP and Octave
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 08:23:10 -0400

OOzy,

If you are considering a web interface to octave using PHP you have to take
security into consideration.  Last summer I built a PERL wed interface to
Octave.  Do not forget that using Octave's system() and exec() commands along
with others allow an anonymous web user to have total user access to your
machine.  What I had to do is put octave into a chroot environment, and alos
try to filter out as many maliious commands as I could before sending
commands to Octave.  When I was finished, I had a cool web Octave for others
to try, but beeing that I am not a security expert, I never really knew if
this was a security hole, or not.  I plan to make this code avialable to
others soon, I just have to dig it back out of the closet!

Hope this helps,

Tom Weichmann