Re: building documention (copyright?)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: building documention (copyright?)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:37:13 -0500

On 31-May-2001, Gerrit <address@hidden> wrote:

| I have already a basic version ready in Treepad-format. This is a freeware
| Win32 viewer that makes browsing through these files easy since a tree index
| is shown in the left pane, the content in the right pane. (www.treepad.com).
| It all looks promising. And if that format is ready an export to html
| (hyperlinking with the file names) might be possible as well.
|
| I need some time before publishing it via this mailing list. Keep an eye
| out!
|
| I have a question:
| If I publish it under the GNU General Public License I do not harm to
| anyone's copyright involved, do I?

If all the functions that you are trying to put in this format are
part of the core Octave distribution, then they are already under the
terms fo the GPL.

But I'm not sure why you are doing this.  There are approximately 560+
M-file functions in the core Octave distribution, and another 250+
built-in functions in the C++ sources.  I also count more than 800
@DOCSTRING commands in the manual souces, so most of the functions
that are distributed with Octave are already documented in the Octave
manual.  If there is a problem with the current documentation, can you
please help to improve it instead of creating a completely separate
document?

Thanks,

jwe