what to include for .oct files?

From: Stef Pillaert
Subject: what to include for .oct files?
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:45:20 +0200

Hello,
I'm trying to make a few .oct functions, and I have  2 questions:
1)quite a while ago, I had this question on the
bug-list (it was on 2.1.30, but it still seems the same with 2.1.34):

| ** to compile some of my old functions, I had to change in oct-shlib
|       "include <oct-time.h>"
|      "include <octave/oct-time.h>"
|      to avoid warnings of not finding this include file in the path.

 and JWE answered:

This is not really a bug, it's just the way things work now.

I'm trying to understand things a bit better now:-)
Does this mean that I should actually change
oct-shlib? Or should I just ignore the warnings? But what do they mean?
Shouldn't oct-time be included when including oct.h in the .cc functions? Or is
it discourageable to include oct.h?

**a bit of the same question on why oct-map (for structures) isn't included when
including oct.h in my .cc functions. Is there a reason for this (untill now, I
changed oct.h, but I feel that this is not the way). I can of course include
oct-map in all my .cc functions, but this also gives me the feeling that
I'm not doing things the obvious way: I don't have to do anything special
to work with matrices (just including oct.h is OK), so why should I include
other stuff for working with structures? Or is it just a matter of not including
what isn't strictly necesarry? If so, are there some guidelines available on
what to include for different needs?

Please be patient with me, 'cause I don't feel easy in these matters. I'm just
trying to learn a bit more on how .oct functions work...

Thanks for yor time,
Stef.