Re: looking for comments on porting code

From: Jonathan King
Subject: Re: looking for comments on porting code
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:19:12 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Mostyn Bramley-Moore wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Jonathan King wrote:
> > That would be great, but last I knew SPM really truly needed things like
> > multidimensional arrays that could be very messy to port around.  I'd look
> > at the code myself, but, alas, not this week. :-( Meanwhile, I have asked
> > people I know who know about any other SPM to Octave porting effort, and
> > now expect to hear back from them shortly.
>
> Someone has mentioned that they have a working mechanism for handling
> image sequences using the list construct, so the multidimensional array
> problem might be a smaller job than I had thought.

Well, I'll try to (re)-get the code for SPM after this weekend and take
another look.  The tricky part about multi-d arrays is not necessarily the
raw implementation, but the fact that scads of other Octave functions
would then most likely want to be re-written to take m-d arrays into
account.  Everything from ones() to zeros() and all the aggregating
functions...

Meanwhile, my replies from a few other people who had thought about
porting SPM to Octave has turned up negative. People in the fMRI field,
who can routinely drop US$1000 per hour to collect data, have just
considered the Matlab license to be a minor cost of playing the game.

jking